There is a list of all the reports on this site here. You can also see lists of the sessions not yet reported on here, and a list of Monday's action sessions here. More recently, this blog has begun to house reports related to the Arts Campaign too

This is what we talked about all weekend:
Wordle: D&D5

Thursday 4 February 2010

043 Gate-Keepers (or Obstructions to Involvement)

Convener: Stephen Darcy

Participants: Allen O’Leary, Kerry, Tim, John Spooner, Ellis, John

Summary of discussion, conclusions and/or recommendations:

What is a Gate-Keeper? Are we all gate – keepers in some way? Can we be more open?
For Writers; Perseverence….

The Gate Keeper is not necessarily an enemy. What are the agents – casting and literary looking for? A happy marriage? A positive relationship.
Directors usually want everyone to be ‘The One’.

We are Gate Keepers of the Language: ie for any non English speakers in this country we are the social/political/ cultural barrier… or facilitators. Eg doctor,social worker,dole officer,

Kerry said, “ I am a gate keeper…The artist must seek to find the right gate keeper. It’s a relationship.”

Why do we do it? The industry is like a machine. “In New Zealand I’m on the inside. Here I’m on the outside” (Allen O’Leary) Why do we persevere? Coz it’s more fun on the inside….

Obstructions: Please Add…

I’m not successful because………………………………………………………….

I’m wrong!
I’ve got the wrong body / hair / look / style / voice / colour / gender / ethnicity…………………………………………………………………………………
[Please Add]…………………………………………………………………………….
…………………………………………………………………………………………….

I haven’t met the right……………………………………………………………………
I haven’t done the leg-work / research / classes / training……………………..........
………………………………………………………………………………………………

I don’t have enough Talent! (the facilitator finds this point particularly controversial)……………………………………………………………………………


Thoughts;

Maybe it is the wrong gate.
Maybe I’m using the wrong key. Wrong lock ……………………..

Maybe Try and step away from the gate.

Is the gate an institution or person? I can chat to anyone in person ie Literary manager of the national. But I can’t pick up the phone and call. Pourquoi?

“I know lots of gate keepers. They’re lovely. If I ask them for a job it’s the end of the friendship.” John

I want to run the marathon in under 3 hours! I run it in 3.20. Success or Failure?

Conclusion:

Start your own party! And keep at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment